We were delighted to receive scanned pictures that related to the statue of Lauritz Smith that was placed in the memorial park in Draper where the old fort was and where he had his smithy. I touched them up a little, then printed them and took the prints to Mr Schäfer. He recognized immediately what they were about, but I took a little time to explain about the statue being set up where his old smithy had stood in the old Draper fort, and how it was put there to honor a man who had served with his handwork and thereby blessed others.
He asked a few questions about the artist, and what metal was used to cast the statue.
I tried to communicate to Mr. Schäffer that I honor him for his work today. He, of course, does his work with machines, but he is a man of skill, and his work is done with precision.
He was grateful for the pictures and my effort to give them to him. I must thank those who made it possible for me to do this by finding and scanning the pictures and sending them to me. These pictures provide our posting to our blog for this week.
1 comment:
These are really cool! It's the first time I've seen them and it's exciting to know that part of my ancestry is being honored. Wonderful.
Post a Comment