Sorry to report, but I didn't keep it down to 130 top speed. Some parts of the Autobahn were so big, and downhill, and even VWs passing us, so I sped up for just a few seconds. we cruised much of the time between 130 and 140, but two or three times I took it up to 160 for a few seconds. And we were still being passed! The VWs surprised me - lots of 'em passed us. The BMWs were common too. But the Porsche's were the real speed demons. I think some of them passed us at 200. We were going about 140, and they passed us so fast their tail wind shook our car.
Our car was really a truck. It was a big van used to transport the display materials for the conference we went to.
These views are from Bad Elster. A look at the sign will tell you why the writing is hard to read, but really that's the Fraktur style, and is well known because it is a style used in printing. My old Bible was printed in that style of writing. Yes it is difficult, but one can get used to it. Look at the name "Elster." Particularly the "s." The "f" is so much like it that it takes a little studying to be sure which is which. And the "w" is almost exactly like the "B" and the "V."
The Chestnuts were falling all around, and I picked up a bunch. There were people all over looking for them, and it made them really light up when I gave them some I had found. I filled my pockets a dozen times, and gave most of them away.
The tops of the hills that you can see in the first picture are the dividing line between East Germany and the Czech Republic. As we took care to not get lost we didn't cross the border. If you study the map of the city you can see a purple line on the left and bottom. That is the border
Thought it would be good to make a little explanation. All those speeds were in Kilometers per hour. There are 0.62 miles in a Kilometer, so the outrageous speeds mentioned above translate to 80 to 100 mph for the speeds we were traveling, and 125 for the Porsches. Even at our normal speeds of about 80 mph the lines on the road seemed to be moving past us pretty fast. Could you imagine going those speeds in the cute little "Smart" car Mom was standing behind in a previous post? But I saw one on the Autobahn. It wasn't passing anyone, but it was there.
2 comments:
Mom & Dad,
It sounds like your living the live of a missionary couple and liking it! Im so glad for you both I know you have been looking forward to this for a long time. Your descriptions and storys are great and are a bright spot of my day.
Thank you for setting a good spiritual example for all of us kids. And here you go again showing us the way to go by serving a mission for the Lord.
I look up to you both and am glad your my parents.
Eric
I love reading your blog and seeing the pictures... What an adventure! Its beautiful there!
Our house in Redmond had a chestnut tree and i took the nuts and tried to roast them once. They tasted yucky to me... but I probably did it wrong. I'd like to try the correctly roasted chestnuts sometime and then make a true judgment on their taste. But so far I wasn't sad that you gave all yours away. ;)
Love you!
Post a Comment